Google Translate Disclaimer

Translation on this website is provided by Google Translate, a third-party automated translator tool. The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of translations performed by Google Translate, or for any issues or damages resulting from its use.

Photo of boys brushing teeth
print header

Dental Health

Financial Assistance

Not everyone has dental coverage and for some people the cost of treatment is not affordable. This section shares what publicly funded dental care programs are available and who is eligible.

Healthy Smiles Ontario

Healthy Smiles Ontario is a free dental program for children and teens age 17 or younger who qualify. It is funded by the Province of Ontario. Children can get free preventive, basic and emergency dental care. 

Children and teens may be eligible for the Healthy Smiles Ontario programs based on either:

  • Family Income
  • Having a dental problem that needs immediate treatment and meeting financial criteria
  • If they would benefit from preventive services and meet financial criteria

Children whose parents are on Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program are automatically covered for dental care under the Healthy Smiles Ontario Program.

If you have any questions about Healthy Smiles Ontario or would like  help enrolling please call  1-705-721-7520 or toll free 1-877-721-7520 extension 8804.

Or visit  the Healthy Smiles Ontario website.

Canada Dental Benefit

The interim Canada Dental Benefit is intended to help lower dental costs for eligible families earning less than $90,000 per year. Parents and guardians can apply if the child receiving dental care is under 12 years old and does not have access to a private dental insurance plan.

For more information and to apply visit the Canada Dental Benefit website.

Dental care is available if you are eligible through one of the following programs.

Ontario Works (OW) – If you are on OW you may be eligible for the Adult Emergency Dental Program which covers emergency dental procedures.

Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) – if you are on ODSP you are covered for basic dental care.

Non-insured Health Benefits for First Nations people and Inuit (NIHB) – when you are on NIHB, you are covered for basic dental care.

For more information call the Healthy Smiles dental clinic staff at 705-721-7520 or toll free at 1-877-721-7520 extension 8818 or if on OW or ODSP your local social and community services office.

The Ontario Seniors Dental Care Program (OSDCP) provides free dental care to those who are eligible. It is funded by the Province of Ontario. To be eligible you must:

• be an Ontario resident aged 65 and over
• have an income of $22,200 or less (or a combined annual income of $37,100 or less for a couple)
• not have dental benefits.

Eligibility for the OSDCP is assessed by the Ministry of Finance based on information obtained from Line 236 (net income) of the individual tax return form. A dental card will be mailed to the applicant once the application is approved.

There are three ways to apply to the program:

• Apply online.
• Print, fill out, and mail the OSDCP application.
• Visit the nearest health unit office to get a paper copy of the application.

The health unit provides services to eligible seniors by appointment. Dental care is available at:

• 80 Bradford St. Barrie

 5 Pineridge Gate, Gravenhurst

 The following services are available:

  • Examinations
  • X-rays
  • Preventive care (cleanings, fluoride)
  • Restorations
  • Extractions
  • Root canals
  • Dentures (through authorized denturists with a small co-pay)

Appointments may be limited.

For more information about the OSDCP, please call Health Connection at 705-721-7520 or 1-877-721-7520.


Did you find what you were looking for today?
What did you like about this page?
How can we improve this page?

If you have any questions or concerns that require a response, please contact Health Connection directly.

Thanks for your feedback.
Failed to submit comment. Please try submitting again or contact us at the Health Unit.
Comment already submitted ...