E-cigarettes - What You Should Know
E-cigarettes are appearing more often in our communities. But is vaping safe? Here's a quick overview on e-cigarettes that answers some of the questions. As of January 2016, under Ontario Law it is illegal to sell e-cigarettes to anyone under the age of 19. Legislation is expected to come into force in 2017 that will ban the use of e-cigarettes in all the places where smoking is prohibited including all indoor work and public places, and outdoors at children's play areas, parks, and sports fields.
Local Tobacco-Free Champions Recognized
Every year, the health unit recognizes local Tobacco-Free Champions. These champions are nominated by their peers and community partners for making it a priority to help their clients, residents, staff, and families stay or become tobacco free. Nomination information can be found here. For more details on winners, click here.
It's Time to Quit Tobacco - Free Community Quit Supports
- STOP Workshops with Free NRT - A 3-hour workshop being held across the region. Click here for workshop dates and times.
- Young Adults - Order FREE NRT online and challenge yourself in the Would U Rather contest for those between the ages of 18-29 through Leave The Pack Behind.
- First Week Challenge - Sign up to make a seven-day quit in the First Week of the month for a chance to win $500 and improve your health.
- Free Quitting App - For your mobile device and can help you Break It Off.
- Quit Coaching and Counselling - For one-to-one telephone support to help you in your quit attempt, contact Smokers' Helpline online or toll free 1-877-513-5333.
Smokeless Tobacco Products - Know What's In Your Mouth
Chew tobacco is becoming more popular as teens try this new smokeless product at school, on the bench, and at home, unnoticed by many around them. The 2011 Ontario Student Drug Use Survey indicates approximately 9.2 per cent of local high school youth in our area have used chew tobacco. But the truth is, smokeless doesn't mean harmless.
- It causes mouth, tongue, and other cancers.
- No kind of tobacco use will help sports performance.
- Chew and dip are addictive just like other tobacco products.
- It's easy to start and difficult to quit tobacco - but you can quit!
- Be sure you Know What's In Your Mouth!