Medications should be reviewed at least yearly with your health care provider or pharmacist. It is very important to know about the medications you are taking. The following are some questions that you need to ask your doctor or pharmacist. You may also have questions of your own, making a list before your appointment can be helpful.
- What is the name of the medication?
- Why am I taking it?
- Are there any side effects?
- Which ones should I report?
- Do I have alternatives?
- When can I come off this medication or reduce my dose?
- Do you need to see me while I am taking this medication?
- Will this medication affect any of the other medication I am taking? (including non-prescription and herbal remedies).
Find out more about Ontario’s MedsCheck program
For more information on safer medication use please visit the Institute for Safe Medication Practices Canada.