What the Law Says
Smoking or holding lit tobacco is not allowed by anyone anywhere on school property (school buildings, parking lot, soccer field, driveway, courtyard, cars in parking lot) at any time - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Fines and Penalties
- If you are age 16 or older and break the law, you can be fined. If you are 12 to 15 years old you can be served a summons to attend court with your parents/guardian.
- The minimum fine is $305 for smoking on school property. Repeat offences result in a higher fine.
- The minimum fine for selling, supplying or sharing cigarettes to anyone under 19 is $365.
- All schools must post "No Smoking" signs at each entrance.
- The fine for failing to post these signs is $240.
For more information on tobacco and the law, check out Not To Kids.