Making healthy food choices can help you have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby. Here are a few things you can do every day to help you gain a healthy amount of weight during pregnancy.
- Eat “twice as healthy” not “twice as much”. Canada’s Food Guide (English / Français) will show you how!
- Aim to eat three meals and two snacks each day.
- Eat a vegetable or fruit at every meal and snack, to help you get 7 to 9 servings each day.
- Drink water often – avoid sugary drinks like pop, iced tea, fruit drinks and energy drinks.
- Choose lower fat milk (skim, 1% or 2%) and yogurt (2% or less) more often than cheese.
- Be active every day.
- Take a multivitamin daily before and during your pregnancy.
- Eat 2 servings of fish each week. Follow this link to help you choose which fish to eat more often.
- Some foods are unsafe during pregnancy. Learn more about foods you should avoid here.
To learn about nutrition during pregnancy, such as folic acid and baby building nutrients, food safety and healthy weight gain, follow the links to the resources below:
To learn more about prenatal health, healthy pregnancies, and services in Simcoe Muskoka, please contact your health care provider or contact Health Connection
by calling 1-705-721-7520 or 1-877-721-7520 Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., by email
or connect with us wherever you are on Facebook