Parks and playgrounds play an important role in promoting physical activity and health. Communities with more parks and more total park acreage have higher levels of physical activity.
- Parks can shape active lifestyles across a variety of populations.
- People who live closer to parks tend to be more physically active.
- Park conditions, maintenance, policies and programs can influence park use and physical activity levels.
- Within parks, people tend to be more physically active on trails, at playgrounds and at sports facilities.
- Organized park programs and supervision may increase use of parks and playgrounds and may increase physical activity, particularly among youth.
Source: Active Living Research www.activelivingresearch.org
Ideas for Parents and Caregivers - a list of a variety of activities and events that encourage families to spend time outdoors.
Click for information on playground safety.
It’s also important to remember sun safety when being active outdoors.