Receiving a Notice
The Immunization of School Pupils Act states that parents are required to provide the health unit with proof of completed immunization or with the appropriate documentation if they choose not to have their child immunized. This act also states that all students who do not provide their immunization information to the health unit may be suspended from school until immunization information is received.
Immunization questionnaires are mailed home throughout the summer and the school year. If you do not have a family doctor the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit will be hosting immunization clinics by appointment in order to ensure your child is up to date.
What happens if my child receives an immunization questionnaire or suspension notice?
Students enrolled in elementary and secondary schools in Simcoe Muskoka must have a complete immunization record on file with the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit. Students who are not properly immunized according to the Ontario Immunization Schedule below or do not have a valid exemption on file with the Health Unit may be suspended from school. The chart on the Immunization Questionnaire you received shows that our record for you/your child does not match the schedule below. Please follow the steps outlined below to update you/your child’s immunization record with the Health Unit.
1 These vaccines are necessary for students to attend school
* Each dose of Measles, Mumps and Rubella must be given on or after the first birthday and at least 4 weeks apart.
Step 1: Review and compare your child’s immunization record to the immunization schedule above.
Step 2: If your child’s immunization record matches the immunization schedule above:
- Go to step 4 and report your child’s immunizations to the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit
- If the immunization record does not match the schedule above, go to step 3
Step 3: If your child’s immunization record does not match the schedule above:
- Take this letter to your doctor
- Have your child immunized with the missing vaccines shown on the Immunization Questionnaire
- Go to Step 4 to report the immunization
*Please note Health Care Providers do not inform the Health Unit of any immunizations provided.
Step 4: Report your child’s immunization record by one of the following options:
- Online at: www.simcoemuskokahealth.org/immsonline
- Fax: 705-726-3962
- Call: 705-721-7520 or 1-877-721-7520 ext 8807
- Mail to: Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit
Attn: Vaccine Preventable Disease Team
15 Sperling Dr. Barrie, ON L4M 6K9
No proof of immunization? If you do not have proof of immunization, the series of vaccines will be restarted based on your child’s age.
Need help? If you do not have a family doctor or you have questions about exemption from immunization for medical, religious or conscience reasons, please call 705-721-7520 OR 1-877-721-7520 ext 8807.
Page Last Modified: Monday, 05 November 2012.