Students are required by law, according to the Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA), to have an up-to-date immunization record. The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit reviews student immunization records registered in Simcoe County and the District of Muskoka. Once school immunization records are reviewed, a request for immunization information is mailed to the home if there is incomplete information on file.
Students, who do not have a complete immunization record, will receive a request for immunization information in the mail sometime throughout the school year. Not responding to the request may risk suspension from school.
What else do I need to know about school immunization?
- When you register your child for a new school, an immunization history form (French version) must be provided to the school
- The required immunizations can be given by your health care provider or by making an appointment at a health unit immunization clinic
- If your child receives immunization at a health care provider, you must contact the health unit to update your child’s immunization record
- Health care providers do not contact the health unit when they provide immunization to students.
- To update your child’s immunization record click here
- For tips on how to reduce pain during immunization for your child click here