print header

Receiving a Notice

Why did my child receive a letter?

  • A letter is sent when the immunization history for the student is missing information on the provincial immunization database

  • Letters are mailed throughout the year requesting information
  • Students from childcare to secondary school must have a complete immunization record on file with the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit
  • The law, Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA), states that parents are required to provide the health unit with proof of completed immunization
  • If you do not respond to this letter, students may receive a “Notice of Suspension”
  • According to the law, students may be suspended from school until their provincial immunization record is complete
I have my child’s immunization record/yellow card


  • Look at the chart on the letter.  This immunization chart is the most up to date information the health unit has on file for your child’s immunization
  • Look at the “check box” section in a “Notice of Suspension” or “Request for More Information” letter. What you need to send to the health unit will be listed there.
  • Compare your child’s  yellow card with the record on the letter
  • Contact your health care provider to get dates of immunizations or to make an appointment to get the vaccines required
  • Share the updated information with the health unit
I know my child is behind in immunization


  • Make an appointment with your health care provider to complete immunizations
  • Contact the health unit with the information once the vaccination is complete
  • If you do not have a health care provider, contact the health unit to book an appointment at a local health unit office clinic
I am not able to locate my child’s immunization record at home

  • Contact any current or previous health care providers
  • If you have moved to the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit area attempt to contact the health unit closest to your child’s last school or day nursery
  • If your health care provider is no longer practicing you may need to contact the College of Physicians and Surgeons
  • If you have moved to Ontario from another province or country your child will be required to follow the Ontario schedule. This may require some tracking on your part to the area from where you last resided
I have no proof of immunization or have decided to delay immunization for my child

  • Vaccines can be started and will be based on your child’s age and the publicly funded vaccine schedule for Ontario
  • If you can provide proof of some vaccines, but not all, a schedule will be adapted according to requirements for Ontario 
  • A delayed schedule can be discussed with the health unit
I have chosen not to immunize my child

  • Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA) requires any child attending elementary or secondary school to have an authorized affidavit signed and notarized by a Commissioner of Oath or Notary of Public on file and documented on the health unit data base
  • If you had an affidavit for your child in Child Care, upon elementary school registration, a separate Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief affidavit under the Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA) will be required.
  • Contact the health unit to obtain an original form and to review the process
  • A student will not be considered exempt from suspension until the signed affidavit is returned and filed at the health unit office 
  • Students with medical exemptions or affidavits on file will be removed from school during a disease outbreak
  • Unvaccinated students are at increased risk for contracting diseases and place other students at risk who are unable to be immunized due to medical concerns
  • Parents have extra responsibilities, if your child is unvaccinated.  Please review this handout that outlines the additional risks and responsibilities
  • Call (705)-721-7520 or 1-(877)-721-7520 ext. 8827 for further information

Share your child's immunization with us:

  • Fax: 705-726-3962
Did you find what you were looking for today?
What did you like about this page?
How can we improve this page?

If you have any questions or concerns that require a response, please contact Health Connection directly.

Thanks for your feedback.
Failed to submit comment. Please try submitting again or contact us at the Health Unit.
Comment already submitted ...