Current research suggests there are specific lifestyle choices that may protect against colorectal cancer.
Some steps you can take to protect against colorectal cancer:
- Focus on eating at least five servings of vegetables and fruits each day. Choose three different colours of fruits and vegetables every day.
- Eat whole grain foods and/or legumes such as peas, beans or lentils with every meal. Whole grain foods include whole wheat or dark rye bread, brown or wild rice, oatmeal, whole wheat pasta, barley and whole grain crackers.
- Eat less red meat and save processed meats such as sausages, bacon and hotdogs for special occasions.
- Eat two servings of fish every week. Choose fish such as char, herring, mackerel, salmon, sardines and trout.
- Drink 2 cups of milk or fortified soy beverages every day for adequate vitamin D.
Follow Canada's Food Guide to help you eat a balanced diet with a variety of foods to meet your nutritional needs and to maintain a healthy weight .
Click to learn more general healthy eating steps to reduce your risk of cancer .