You want your party to be a good time, however, when alcohol is involved things can get out of hand. You can be held liable for injuries and death related to the actions of your intoxicated guests. Here are some safe party planning tips:
- Be a responsible host. If you choose to drink at your party, drink moderately or don’t drink at all. Check out the Smart Serve website (see below) for information and recommendations on serving alcohol responsibly.
- Do not serve alcohol to persons under 19 years of age.
- Serve food throughout the event. Eating while drinking is better than drinking on an empty stomach.
- Offer alcohol free choices like water, juice, carbonated drinks and mocktails. You can find more great mocktail recipes on the internet.
- Stop serving alcohol well before the party is scheduled to end.
- Ensure that there will be designated drivers and taxis available to your guests that choose to drink.
For more information on Host Liability, click on this document: Having a Party?
Smart Serve Ontario is a non-profit organization dedicated to developing and delivering a responsible service training program to all individuals who serve alcoholic beverages or work where alcoholic beverages are served in the Province of Ontario. Click on the following link to learn more about Smart Serve.