We put in place best practices to create safer more positive spaces for staff, clients and community members of all gender identities and sexual orientations (LGBTQ). We work with local community partners to increase the ability of our health and social service providers to offer equitable, culturally competent and inclusive services.
Currently in Simcoe Muskoka there is a lack of transgender specific medical care. Most trans people must travel to Toronto for even the most basic health care. We want to change that.
The Gilbert Centre, Orillia Soldiers' Memorial Hospital, and Rainbow Health Ontario have partnered together to offer a Supporting Trans Clients Training Series. This interactive training series on transgender health is open to all MDs, NPs, RNs, specialists, and students working towards these credentials. Session #2 & #3 are awaiting approval for 5 MainPro M1 credits.
Supporting Trans Clients Training Series
#1. Trans 101 Sensitivity Training
(*Prerequisite for #2 & #3) August 9, 2016 8:30-11:30 a.m., ORILLIA
September 9, 2016 8:30-11:30 a.m., BARRIE
- Learn proper terminology
- Understand approaches to Trans Inclusivity
- Delve into case studies to appreciate examples of trans specific experience
- Legal responsibilities under Ontario’s Human Rights Code
#2 Providing Transition-Related Medical Care*
September 23, 2016 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., ORILLIA
- Providing holistic, community-based primary care services to trans clients
- Assessment, monitoring, and follow-up for hormone therapy
- New protocols: shifting the lens on trans care
#3. Surgical Referral and Pre and Post-Operative Care*
October 14, 2016 9 a.m.– 5 p.m., BARRIE
- Supporting and coordinating surgical referrals in primary care
- Surgical overview
- Pre and post-operative care: a comprehensive guide
- Role and expectations for referring providers
For more information, contact
Jake Feldman, Gilbert Centre at 705-722-6778 x109 or 1-800-372-2272, email@example.com