As the weather outside becomes unpredictable, safety on the roads needs to be a top priority.
Drive Alert and Sober:
- Keep eyes on the road and both hands on the wheel for the best control
- Eliminate distractions – cellphones, loud passengers, eating and drinking
- No influence of drugs or alcohol
- Slow down and minimize passing in poor conditions
- Passing snow plows can be dangerous; plows are generally wider than the lanes.
In Simcoe Muskoka driving conditions change quickly
- Snow tires allow for stopping 25% sooner than all season tires
- Keep windshield washer fluid topped up and have extra in the vehicle to maintain visibility in all conditions
- Clean your vehicle thoroughly of ice and snow – including the roof and bumpers
- Have gloves, hat and mitts ready, in case you need to get out.
- Have an emergency kit with blanket, flashlight and batteries, first aid kit, small tool kit, extra clothing and footwear, non-perishable energy foods (granola bars) and water, candle and a small tin can, matches, ice scraper and snow shovel.
For further information please visit: Winter Driving Tips