National Breastfeeding Week (NBW) is celebrated in 120 countries around the world – in Canada it runs from October 1-7. NBW is promoted by INFACT Canada and the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action and is supported by UNICEF and The World Health Organization. Some communities in Simcoe County are kicking off NBW with flag raising ceremonies. In the District of Muskoka, a bridge banner promoting NBW is circulating through the communities of Bracebridge, Huntsville and Port Carling over the next few weeks.
Collingwood, Flag Raising at Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit – 280 Pretty River Parkway
- Wednesday September 28 at 9:30 a.m.
Orillia, Flag Raising at Orillia City Centre
- Monday, October 3 at 11 a.m.
On Saturday, October 1 the Global Breastfeeding Challenge will take place in various locations across Simcoe County as one of many events that celebrate NBW.
The challenge is a fun and friendly competition where families come together and attempt to set the record for the most children breastfeeding at the same time.
Children can “Latch On” beginning at 11 a.m. at the following locations:
- Innisfil ideaLAB & Library, Lakeshore Branch
- Barrie City Hall Rotunda, 70 Collier Street
- Bradford BWG Public Library, 425 Holland Street West
- Collingwood YMCA, 200 Hume Street
- Orillia Public Library, 36 Mississaga Street West
- Ontario Early Years Centre, 13 Wellington Street West, Alliston
For more on breastfeeding or on how to become a Breastfeeding Friendly Place, see our Breastfeeding Friendly Places