World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) is celebrated in 120 countries around the world – in Canada it runs from October 1-7.
WBW is promoted by INFACT Canada and the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action and is supported by UNICEF and The World Health Organization.
The theme for 2014 is “Breastfeeding: A Winning Goal for Life!”
Several communities in Simcoe County are kicking off WBW with flag raising ceremonies. In the District of Muskoka, a bridge banner promoting WBW is circulating through the communities of Bracebridge, Huntsville and Port Carling over the next three weeks.
- Barrie, Flag Raising at Barrie City Hall – 70 Collier Street
- Monday, September 29 at 11 a.m.
- Bradford, Flag Raising at Court House Courtyard – 57 Holland Street East
- Wednesday, October 1 at 9:30 a.m.
- Collingwood, Flag Raising at Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit – 280 Pretty River Parkway
- Thursday, October 2 at 2 p.m.
- Huntsville, Breastfeeding display at Huntsville Place Mall – 70 King William Street
- Wednesday, October 1 – Sunday, October 5
On Saturday, October 4 the World Breastfeeding Challenge will take place in various locations across Simcoe County as one of many events that celebrate WBW.
The challenge is a fun and friendly competition where families come together and attempt to set the record for the most children breastfeeding at the same time.
Children can “Latch On” beginning at 11 a.m. at the following locations:
- Alliston OEYC, 13 Wellington Street
- Barrie Holly Community Centre, 171 Mapleton Avenue
- Bradford BWG Public Library, 425 Holland Street West
- Collingwood Ontario Early Years Centre, 250A Peel Street
- Orillia Public Library, 36 Mississaga Street West