The Toronto 2015 Pan Am and Parapan Am Games will see athletes from across South, Central, North America and the Caribbean compete in 36 Pan Am sports and 15 Parapan Am sports. The Pan Am games take place July 10–26, and the Parapan Am Games happen between August 7–15.
The games involve municipalities stretching from Oshawa to Welland, including Simcoe Muskoka, which is hosting the mountain bike competition at the Hardwood Mountain Bike Park (Hardwood Hills) on Sunday July 12 () and the shooting competition during the week of July 12-19 at the Pan Am Shooting Centre (Toronto International Trap & Skeet Club) near Cookstown.
If you're planning to attend, here are some things that will make your visit healthy and enjoyable:
Tips for Being Healthy Outdoors
- Drink plenty of liquids, especially on hot days. Water is your best choice.
- Look for shaded areas to rest from the heat, particularly with young children, seniors or if you are breastfeeding.
- Use sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher, applying 30 minutes before going outside and reapplying every two hours.
- If you experience any heat-related symptoms, visit a health facility immediately.
Tips to Prevent Illness
- Prevent yourself from getting sick and spreading germs by using alcohol-based hand sanitizer or washing your hands regularly with soap and water as needed.
- If you become sick with diarrhea, vomiting, rash and/or fever, practice good hand hygiene and stay home.
Tips to Prevent Injuries
- Distracted walking is dangerous – pay attention when walking in parking lots or other areas with moving vehicles.
- Watch your step - prevent slips, trips and falls caused by uneven ground or other obstacles.
- If you choose to drink alcohol in permitted areas, drink responsibly and in moderation.
Tips to prevent insect bites
- If outside when mosquitoes are most active (dusk to dawn) or in wooded areas wear light-coloured, long-sleeved shirts, long pants and use a repellent according to the manufacturers’ recommendations.
- Apply repellent sparingly on any exposed skin (do not apply underneath clothes), avoiding your eyes; if you do get repellent in your eyes, rinse with water immediately.
Tips for tobacco-free games