Just For You
Pregnancy and Before
Classes - Training
Search our Website
For Our Community
Outdoor Air Quality Focus Report
Idle Reduction Tool Kit
Resources and Graphics
Smoke-free Outdoor Spaces
Vector Borne Disease
Municipal AT Workshop Evaluation
Healthy Design Policies
Building Healthy Communities Workshop
Road Safety in Simcoe Muskoka
Managing Alcohol Risk
Community Design for Health
Where You Live & Your Health
Creating Healthy Places
Healthy Design Policy
Income and Health
Housing and Health
Using a Health Equity Lens
Lets Start a Conversation
Bridges Out Of Poverty
DOs & Emerg. Service Workers
Breastfeeding Friendly Places
Breastfeeding in Public
Breastfeeding in the Workplace
Just For You
Resources - videos, websites, advocacy and books
“Let’s Start a Conversation…” (
) - health is about more than access to medical care. Health is also influenced by a person’s social and economic conditions.
Make the Month
- interactive game challenges you to manage your money, raise a child and make it through the month on a minimum wage.
What’s Good for Canada
– a series of short videos from those living in low income and what needs to change from the Canadian Center of Policy Alternatives.
Social Determinants of Health and Health Equity
Jason’s Story -
This simple story, developed by the Public Health Agency of Canada, speaks to the complex set of factors or conditions that determine the level of health of every Canadian.
A New Way to Talk About the Social Determinants of Health
- Developed by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, this resource presents “a series of lessons, best practices, recommended language, and
that can support better and more persuasive messages” related to the social determinants of health.
The Wellesley Institute: Health Equity
- The Wellesley Institute is a research and policy institute that provides
resources, and tools for policy-makers, practitioners, and community advocates for building health equity into strategy, planning and practice.
Ministry of Health and Long Term Care Health Equity Impact Assessment
(HEIA) - This tool is used to examine
the potential impacts of policies, initiatives, services and programs on groups at risk of experiencing health inequities.
National Collaborating Center for the Determinants of Health
(NCCDH) - The Centre collects and share
evidence with public health organizations to influence health determinants and advance health equity.
Homeless Hub -
The Homeless Hub offers resources to help anyone including service providers, researchers, and policy makers to better understand and tackle the problem of housing and homelessness.
St. Michael’s Hospital: Centre for Research on
Inner City Health (CRICH); CRICH
conducts research to better understand the linkages between poverty, social exclusion and poor health, highlighting the health concerns associated with homelessness and under housed peoples.
Vibrant Communities Canada -
Vibrant Communities is a learning community of members who share a common interest in working to reduce poverty through multi-sector engagement and collaboration.
Tamarack: An Institute for Community Engagement
- Tamarack facilitates collaboration and knowledge generation to solve complex community challenges with the hope of ending poverty in Canada.
Basic Income Guarantee Network
– (BIG) networks, raises awareness, supports policy development and research about having a BIG for all Canadians.
The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives
a research institute concerned with policy issues of social, economic and environmental justice.
– addresses the barriers facing young Canadians regarding SDOH such as education, income, and housing.
Health Care Providers Against Poverty
(Ontario) – advocate on income security and social security, raise awareness about the health impacts of poverty, and engage health providers and people living in poverty in social and political change.
Ontario Living Wage Network
– Network of employers, employees and researchers to address standards of pay for low wage workers.
addresses the social determinants of health in order to build a healthier society.
Child and Youth Family Services Coalition of Simcoe County (CYFS)
Poverty Reduction of Muskoka Planning Table (PROMPT)
– coalition of individuals and families with "lived experience" and service provider representatives committed to reducing poverty by carrying out work and activities in the core areas of advocacy, public education, awareness and community mobilization.
Simcoe County Local Immigration Partnership
- focus on settlement strategies for newcomers supporting service delivery promoting positive relationships, opportunity, and use of local resources effectively.
- regional social planning organization including resources to support understanding and working with the Aboriginal population.
- The Simcoe County Alliance to End Homelessness is a local movement to prevent and end homelessness in Simcoe County through coordinated strategies, advocacy and awareness
SMDHU’s Health and Advocacy Portal
- resources for Primary Care Providers
Papers, Reports and Books
Voices out of Poverty
(2014) is a report on the experience of people living in poverty in Simcoe County through their own voices
Working to End Homelessness Simcoe County
20,000 Homes Campaign Registry Week is a report on who was found homeless in Simcoe County (2016)
Making Choices Together - Re-Imaging Poverty Reduction in Simcoe County -
- a report about the broader priorities around poverty reduction for Simcoe County (2016)
Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit’s Approach to Addressing the Determinants of Health – A Health Equity Framework
– guide for SMDHU to address the factors that create inequities in overall health.
Social determinants of health - the Canadian facts
by Raphael & Mikkonen, 2010.
Communicating the Social Determinants of Health Guidelines for Common Messaging
Canadian Council on Social Determinants of Health, 2013
Closing the gap in a generation - health equity through action on the social determinants of health
- World Health Organization 2008
Youth Homelessness in Canada: Implications for Policy and Practice
Gaetz S, O’Grady B, Buccieri K, Karabanow J, Marsolais A(Eds.). 2013. Toronto: Canadian Homelessness Research Network Press.
Did you find what you were looking for?
What did you like about this page?
How can we improve this page?
If you have any questions or concerns that require a response, please contact
Thanks for your feedback.
Failed to submit comment. Please try submitting again or contact us at the Health Unit.
Comment already submitted ...
Copyright © . Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit. All rights reserved.