Make it Easy – to reduce stress in the workplace
Provide an environment that makes it easy for employees to cope with stress. This would include activities to promote physical activity, healthy eating, smoking cessation, and healthy choices regarding alcohol.
Examples of environmental supports could include:
- Create a quiet or relaxation room for employees
- Incorporate stretch breaks throughout the day
- Invite guest speakers/consultants to provide information on finance, child care services, and senior support services for example
- Develop and conduct an employee interest survey to identify needs and environmental supports that meet their needs
- Conduct an assessment of the physical work environment and organizational culture to identify ways to improve
- Provide training for managers on how to identify employees suffering from stress and how to manage the situation
- Provide an Employee Assistance Program and encourage employees to use their counseling services
- Provide dependent care initiatives such as emergency child care and elder care services; financial assistance for child care expenses or on-site child care services
Canadian Mental Health Association - Work/Life Balance Quiz
Measures balance between the different roles in life associated with work, home and family, friends, physical health, volunteer and community service.
Kingston, Frontenac and Lennox & Addington (KFL&A) Public Health - Assess Your Stress
A tool for assessing individual stress at work. It could also be used by an employer to do an assessment of the entire workforce as part of a comprehensive plan.