The Healthy Menu Choices Act, 2015 will come into effect in Ontario on January 1, 2017. The Act will help families make more informed food choices when eating in a restaurant or purchasing take-away meals. It will also help to raise public awareness about the calorie content of food and beverages eaten outside the home.
This Act will:
- Require large food chain premises to post calories for standard food and beverage items, including alcohol on menus and menu boards.
- Apply to all food premises where food is available for immediate consumption such as convenience stores, movie theatres, grocery stores, and restaurants with 20 locations or more in Ontario.
- Failure to comply may lead to a fine.
- Require food service operators to post contextual information that would help to educate patrons about their daily caloric requirements.
- Authorize public health inspectors to enforce menu labelling requirements.
Useful tools and resources:
For more information, please visit the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care website.